Go a little exotic for an easy weeknight dinner or one that will impress guests! This recipe riffs on India's famous tandoori chicken-electric red chicken pieces marinated in a savory yogurt and spice mixture and cooked in a tandoor oven. But the marinade is wonderful on shrimp (or lobster), and uses ingredients you probably have in your pantry. Serve the shrimp with long grain or basmati rice.
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled (leave tails on) and deveined
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Traeger Cajun Rub, or substitute salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half, or milk
- 1/2 of a small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- A few drops of red and orange food coloring (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Thinly sliced red onions, lime wedges, and sprigs of cilantro for serving
1. Put the shrimp in a large resealable plastic bag. Combine the lime juice and Traeger Cajun Rub. Pour over the shrimp and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, combine the yogurt, cream, onion, garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and turmeric in a blender jar and process until the mixture is fairly smooth. Blend in a few drops of orange and red food coloring, if desired, to imitate the brilliant color of authentic tandoori.
3. Drain the lime juice mixture off the shrimp. Add the yogurt marinade to the bag and marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread on thin metal or bamboo skewers.
4. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 450 degrees F (High) and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Lay the shrimp skewers directly on the grill grate and grill, turning once with tongs, for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are firm and pink. Brush them as they cook on both sides with the melted butter. Using the tines of a fork, slide the shrimp off the skewers onto a platter or serving plates. Garnish with thinly sliced red onions, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs.