- 6 large red peppers, preferably with 4 lobes each (check the bottoms)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Traeger Cajun Rub, or your favorite taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup prepared salsa or diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 8.8 ounce package pre-cooked rice, or 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (1 to 2 ears), or canned or frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups grated Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
1. Rinse each pepper well with cold running water. Cut each in half lengthwise, through the stem, and remove the seeds and ribs with a paring knife.
2. Make the stuffing: Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Traeger Cajun Rub, salsa, rice, black beans, and corn, and cook until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
3. Fill each pepper half with the stuffing.
4. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Arrange the peppers on the grill grate, stuffing side up, balancing them between the rungs. Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the peppers. Bake for 5 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted.
6. Transfer to a platter or plates and serve immediately. These reheat easily if you find yourself with leftovers.