- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature (for the butter)
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (for the butter)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (for the butter)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or red wine (for the butter) -optional
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or parsley (for the butter)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground green or black peppercorns (for the butter)
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea), to taste (for the butter)
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches thick
- Olive oil (for the steaks)
- Traeger Prime Rib Rub, or coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper (for the steaks)
Make the flavored butter: In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, blue cheese, garlic, sherry, if using, chives, peppercorns, and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, or roll into a log in plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment and freeze for up to 6 months.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes).
Brush the outside of the steaks with olive oil and season with Traeger Prime Rib Rub. Arrange the steaks directly on the grill grate and smoke for 30 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a plate or platter. Increase the temperature of the grill to 450 degrees F (High). Return the smoked steaks to the grill grate and finish cooking to the desired degree of doneness, turning once with tongs or a spatula. (Use an instant-read meat thermometer inserted through the side of a steak to check temperature: Rare will be about 125 degrees F.)
Top the steaks with a dollop of the Blue Cheese and Peppercorn Butter a minute or two before transferring to a platter or plates.
Set the temperature to 450 degrees F (High) and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.