- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for oiling the fish
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brined capers, drained (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 swordfish, halibut, tuna, or salmon steaks, each 6 to 8 ounces and 1-inch thick
Make the olive oil sauce: Put the 1/2 cup of olive oil in a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Whisk in the lemon juice and hot water. Stir in the garlic, parsley, oregano, capers (if using), and salt and pepper to taste. (Go easy on the salt if you’re using capers.) Keep warm.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 400 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Brush the fish steaks with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on the grill grate and grill until the fish is opaque and flakes easily when pressed with a fork, about 18 minutes. (If you prefer your tuna or salmon on the rare side, cook them for less time.)
Transfer the fish steaks to a platter or plates and drizzle with the warm olive oil sauce. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.