A hint of wood smoke makes this lemony coleslaw a perfect partner for pulled pork or grilled seafood. For color, feel free to replace two cups of the standard green cabbage with purple cabbage. To save time, you can use prepackaged slaw mix.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (for the dressing)
- 1/2 cup sour cream(for the dressing)
- Juice from one lemon, about 1/4 cup(for the dressing)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard(for the dressing)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar(for the dressing)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish(for the dressing)
- Salt and pepper to taste(for the dressing)
- 8 to 10 cups finely shredded cabbage (for the slaw)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion (for the slaw)
- 1 large carrot, grated (for the slaw)
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced (for the slaw)
- Smoked paprika or regular paprika (for the slaw)
Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small mixing bowl, cover, and refrigerate. Put the cabbage in a metal kitchen colander or spread it out on a rimmed baking sheet. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Smoke the cabbage for 30 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and stir to coat the cabbage. Taste for seasoning, adding more sugar, horseradish, or salt and pepper as needed. Dust the top lightly with paprika. Refrigerate until serving time.