Roasted New Potatoes with Mustard Seeds and Chives
Try to buy thin-skinned new potatoes, sometimes called “B” sized potatoes. Yellow ones will be more tender than redskins. If you only have larger potatoes on hand, cut them into chunks and roast as directed below.
- 2 pounds small new potatoes, each no more than 1-1/4 inch in diameter
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or parsley
Put the potatoes in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet large enough to hold the potatoes in a single layer. Drizzle with the butter and olive oil. Sprinkle the mustard seeds over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 400 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the baking sheet with the potatoes directly on the grill grate. Roast for about 25 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the potatoes are tender and the skins are slightly wrinkled. Tip the pan of potatoes into a bowl or onto a platter. Top with fresh chives or parsley.