- 2 cups peeled carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (3 to 4 large carrots)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and sliced through the root end
- 1 to 2 golden beets, trimmed and cut into large dice (see Note below)
- 4 small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or cut in quarters (if the potatoes are larger)
- 4 small redskin potatoes, halved or cut into wedges
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into wedges through the root end
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into uniform-sized chunks
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tablespoons good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Traeger Vegetable Shake, or salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all the vegetables (except for the garlic) in a large roasting pan.
Cut about 1/2-inch off the top of the garlic head. Place on a square of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and loosely twist the top of the foil to enclose the garlic. Put in the pan with the other vegetables. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the vegetables. Add the thyme, sherry, and Vegetable Shake or salt and pepper to taste and mix gently.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke
with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 400 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and beginning to brown, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Unwrap the garlic and squeeze the softened garlic cloves onto the vegetables; stir to combine. Discard the papery garlic husks. Serve immediately.
Note: While you can substitute red beets, they tend to bleed as they cook and will discolor the other vegetables.