BBQ Maple Baked Beans with Bacon
- 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) bacon, coarsely diced
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Traeger BBQ Sauce, or your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mustard (such as Colman’s)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the beans and water in a 2-1/2 quart Dutch oven or a large saucepan. Soak for 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bay leaf, garlic, and bacon and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the beans until tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the maple syrup, ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, and salt and pepper. Return the beans to the Dutch oven, or transfer to a 2-1/2 quart bean pot.
3. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 300 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Cover the beans and bake for 5 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally or until very tender and flavorful, adding some of the reserved bean cooking liquid if the beans seem too dry. Uncover for the last 30 minutes of cooking.