Holiday Morning Granola
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more as needed
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes
- 2 cups dried fruit such as cherries, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, pineapple, etc.
Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, and almond extract. Let cool slightly. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a rimmed baking sheet. Combine the oats, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and nuts in a large mixing bowl. Pour the warm syrup over the oat mixture. Butter your hands and mix well. Press the mixture into the prepared baking sheet. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 300 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes. Bake the granola until lightly browned, about 1 hour. Let cool, then break into chunks in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut and dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.