Swordfish Skewers with Italian Salsa Verde
- 3 lemons, preferably a seedless variety
- 1-1/2 pounds swordfish, trimmed, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 24 fresh bay leaves (see Note above)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to High and preheat, lid closed, for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, trim the ends from the lemons. Remove the zest from one lemon and juice. Set aside. Cut the remaining two lemons into 1-inch chunks. (If the lemons are not seedless, remove any seeds with the tines of a fork.)
Assemble the kebabs: Thread the swordfish, lemon chunks, and bay leaves onto bamboo or metal skewers, alternating ingredients. Brush the kebabs with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Make the Salsa Verde: Place the garlic on a cutting board and smash it with the flat of a heavy knife. Sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon of salt and mince until a paste forms. Transfer to a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the reserved lemon juice and zest as well as the red pepper flakes and anchovy paste, if using. Gradually whisk in the 1/2 cup of olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. Stir in the capers. Set aside.
Arrange the kebabs on the grill grate and grill until the fish is opaque and cooked through, about 15 minutes, turning as needed. Transfer to a platter. Stir the parsley into the Salsa Verde (adding the herbs at the last minute helps them retain their color) and serve with the kebabs.