Sage & Sausage Stuffing
- 1 pound sage-flavored sausage, such as Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 14-ounce package herb-seasoned stuffing (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or marjoram, minced
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (optional)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed to moisten the stuffing
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing the baking dish
Brown the sausage in a large frying pan, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened. Drain any excess fat. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the stuffing mix and cranberries, if using. Warm the chicken broth over medium-low heat; add butter and cook until melted. Toss with the bread/sausage mixture and mix lightly. Butter a 3-quart casserole or baking dish. Do not compress the mixture or it will be dense.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Bake the stuffing, covered, for 35 to 45 minutes; uncover during the last 20 minutes of cooking if you prefer a crunchier texture.