Cast Iron Scalloped Potatoes
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (1/8 inch)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups mild Cheddar or Jack cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk
Butter the inside of a cast iron skillet and layer half the potato slices on the bottom. Top with half the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the potatoes and onions and dot with butter. Layer the remaining potatoes and onions on top. Dot with butter. Pour the milk into the skillet. Cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are very tender. Remove the foil and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 30 minutes more (uncovered) until the cheese is lightly browned. Dust the top with paprika and serve immediately.