Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Kalbi)
- 1 1/2 pounds crosscut beef short ribs (flanken)
- 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 scallion (green onion), trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Traeger Beef Shake, or salt
1. Make the marinade
Combine the soy sauce, water, vinegar, brown sugar, granulated sugar, garlic, pear, ginger, scallion, and sesame oil in a blender and pulse several times. Lay the beef in a single layer in a baking dish and season on both sides with Traeger Beef Shake. Pour the marinade over the beef, turning the beef over to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
2. Prep your Traeger
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 450 degrees F (High) and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Grill the meat
Remove the beef from the marinade; discard marinade. Arrange the beef on the grill grate and grill, 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until the meat is cooked to your liking. (In Korea, they prefer their short ribs well-done.) Transfer to a platter or plates and serve immediately.