- Cooking spray
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Spray an 8- or 9-inch glass or aluminum pie plate with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut the carrots into 1-inch chunks. Bring a saucepan of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a boil over high heat. Add the carrots and cook until they are very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Drain the carrots and transfer them to a mixing bowl; using a hand mixer, mash until fairly smooth. Blend in the butter. Add the eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the carrot mixture and mix until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared pie plate.
3. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top begins to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then dust the top with powdered sugar, if desired. Can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.