Welcome to Team Traeger

Team Traeger Blog

Bacon Wrapped Brisket with a Mustard Slather

Posted by Mary M. on December 5, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Brisket with a Mustard Slather

Briskets are tricky 'lil devils that take hours of trial and error to perfect and master. (ONE brisket alone can take 12 hours all by itself!...definitely worth it, though.) Our recipe experts have done the legwork for you and compiled nothing but the best brisket recipes. Although they are all delicious, and deserve a page in your recipe book, your life will be incomplete if you do not try the Brisket with a Mustard Slather. Prepare yourself to be amazed. Somewhere between the mustard/molasses slather and the bacon wrap lies the secret to what makes this brisket so outrageously flavorful and filled with yummy juices. You've just got to taste it for yourself.

BRISKET WITH A MUSTARD SLATHER

PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 to 6 hours
RECOMMENDED PELLETS: Hickory, Oak or Pecan
SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS

1 brisket flat, 5 to 6 pounds, fat trimmed to 1/4-inch
Traeger Prime Rib Rub, or your favorite barbecue rub
1/2 cup yellow or brown mustard
2 tablespoons dark molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
8 to 10 strips of bacon
Traeger Regular BBQ Sauce or your favorite barbecue sauce

PREPARATION

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes).

Season the brisket on all sides with the Traeger Prime Rib Rub.

In a small bowl, combine the mustard, molasses, and Worcestershire sauce.

Apply the mustard slather evenly over all surfaces of the brisket.

Place the brisket, fat side down, directly on the grill grate. Drape the top with the bacon slices. Smoke for 1 hour.

Increase the temperature to 225 to 250 degrees F. Continue to cook the brisket until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, approximately 3 hours.

Tightly wrap the brisket in a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Return to the grill and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F.

Transfer the foiled brisket to an insulated container and cover it with thick clean towels (old beach towels work well) or several layers of newspapers. Allow the brisket to rest for at least 1 hour, preferably several hours.

Bacon Wrapped Brisket with a Mustard Slather

Remove the brisket from the foil, saving any cooking juices. (If desired, you can stir some of the juices into the barbecue sauce.)

Discard the bacon. Using a sharp knife, cut the brisket into 1/4-inch slices against the grain.

Bacon Wrapped Brisket with a Mustard Slather

Shingle on a warm platter and drizzle with some of the reserved cooking juices. Serve barbecue sauce on the side.

Bacon Wrapped Brisket with a Mustard Slather

Comments

12/10/2013 1:26:52 PM #

just wondering why you would discard the bacon - i can think of so many sides to put bacon cooked on a brisket

m936a2 United States

12/10/2013 2:02:05 PM #

Discard the bacon?!?!?!? Why in the name of everything holy would you EVER discard BACON?!?!?!? BLASPHEMY, BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!!!!!!! REPENT YOUR SIN HEATHEN AND PRAY FOR FORGIVENESS FROM SAINT EMRIL, PATRON SAINT OF PORK FAT!!!!!!!!!

Other than that it looks like a great recipe.

BigDaddyCool United States

12/10/2013 6:41:50 PM #

I have not done a brisket - and probably never will if it requires me to cook it all the way to 190 degrees.  Is that real?  Sounds like a piece of leather to me.

luvmoistmeat United States

12/11/2013 6:24:23 AM #

luvmoistmeat - Brisket is a tough cut of meat because it is a "working muscle."  Because it is a muscle that is in constant use, and supports a great deal of the cow's weight, it is loaded with connective tissue.  If you don't cook it to 190 degrees (or higher, depending on the individual cut), it will be extremely tough.  However, once the internal temp reaches that magic number of 190-195, the connective tissue breaks down, and you're left with an amazingly succulent, tender piece of meat.  Done correctly, brisket is probably my favorite beef dish.  When I cook it, it takes a good 12-13 hours, and it has to be baby-sat, but it's so, so worth it in the end.

dave_trimble United States

3/25/2014 10:36:14 PM #

This excellent website definitely has all the info I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

My page:  see here - www.incirclemedia.com/seo-services-in-dubai.php

see here United States

3/26/2014 10:40:36 PM #

Following getting recently graduated from university, I've come to conditions with the truth that "education" is much more regarding how? nicely you'll be able to spit again information to show that you just comprehend it rather than recognize it. And on top on the truth that a lot of university college students (at the least in the US) must go into severe debt in an effort to pay for an education that is supposed to assist them advance socioeconomically. It really is genuinely messed up and disheartening. :/

My web blog  60 minute stamina secrets free - Swhills.com/eugene-security-september-breaks-when-longer-holidays-arent-possible

60 minute stamina secrets free United States

4/1/2014 3:44:06 PM #

Send application per Vacancy Announcement. Luxury villa rental inItaly are all available. There's something extra special about renting a villa can provide you with a guide so you can use Twitter not only to discover more about the way of localism to worry about interference from others. Traveling around Marrakech gets the real estate marrakech desert dust into your face and your skin. At the same time.

My web blog - de marrakesh real estate bandung;  Melanie - snakzstock.com/.../Ed61R.html ,

Melanie United States

4/10/2014 5:20:20 AM #

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.

Feel free to visit my blog ::  How to Rank on Google in 3 Easy Steps - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/419186677789065529/

How to Rank on Google in 3 Easy Steps United States

4/13/2014 1:15:59 PM #

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Also visit my site -  seo marketing services - http://Stellarseostlouis.com/

seo marketing services United States

Country flag

biuquote
  • Preview

Please login to leave a comment.