Yes, there actually is a science to "skewering" or "kebabing". It has to be slightly charred on the outside yet perfectly cooked on the inside with a marvelous balance of meat, veggies and sometimes even fruit.
Although the Traeger makes it pretty easy to achieve success, allow us to give you a few kebab tips to keep up your sleeve:
1. Use a mix of meat and vegetables/fruits but choose ingredients that will cook at relatively the same rate. (Alternatively you could also par-boil things like zucchini to get that even cooking.)
2. Cut your meat and vegetables/fruits into the same sizes so that all of the skewered ingredients finish cooking simultaneously.
3. Choose skewer ingredients that won't fall apart or off of the skewers. For example, use cherry tomatoes instead of slices of tomatoes that will just disintegrate on the grill.
4. Space out your slices. If you thread all of your ingredients too close together they won't cook evenly and you will rob yourself of some of that lovely char.
5. Cook them high and fast. That's the beauty of kebabs. They cook quickly, get a nice char and taste like a griller's dream!
SPEEDY SPICY SAUSAGE & PEPPER SKEWERS
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: about 10 minutes
RECOMMENDED PELLETS: Mesquite, Hickory or Pecan
MAKES: about 8 skewers
12 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1 to 2 inch slices
1 lb of large shrimp (26-30 count), shelled and cleaned
1 green bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and cut into large chunks
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and cut into large chunks
12 ounces cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion, cut into large chunks
Traeger Cajun Rub
Spicy Ketchup Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tablespoon minced chipotles in adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for about 30 minutes prior to cooking.
Start the Traeger on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (about 5 minutes). Preheat to High heat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Set out all of your skewer ingredients that you're ready to start assembling those kebabs.
Thread on the ingredients, alternating between the meat and the vegetables.
Drizzle each of the skewers with olive oil and season on all sides with the Traeger Cajun Rub.
Put the skewers directly on the grill grate and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the skewers over and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
While the sausage skewers are cooking, mix up all of the ingredients for the Spicy Ketchup Dipping sauce and transfer to a small bowl for serving.
Pull the kebabs off the grill and serve them with some lovely crusty bread and that spicy dipping sauce.
Speedy Spicy Sausage & Pepper Skewers Recipe.docx (12.22 kb)