- For the topping:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (not quick-cooking or instant)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, well-chilled, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the fruit:
- 5 pounds mixed apples and pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- One lemon, zest removed, then juiced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- For serving:
- Vanilla or cinnamon ice cream, or sweetened whipped cream
Butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Make the topping: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and salt. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. (If you don’t have an electric mixer, use your fingers or a hand-held pastry blender.) Set aside.
Prepare the fruit: In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir with a wooden spoon. Tip the fruit mixture into the prepared pan. Distribute the filling evenly over the fruit.
When ready to cook, start the Traeger on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Put the crisp directly on the grill grate and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the fruit is bubbling and tender. Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.