Feed your meat-tooth with a juicy thick cut Traeger grilled steak. Whether you like it fresh from the field, with some pink, or deader-than-dead, we’ve got you covered. We’ll teach you how to cook the perfect steak to your preferred doneness.
RARE – Just a minimal sear on the exterior of the meat. People cook it rare because they're embarrassed to eat it fresh out of the fridge in front of guests.
- Internal Temperature: 120-130℉
- Grill Time: ~2.5 minutes per side
- Center Color: Red
- Center Temperature: Cool
MEDIUM RARE – A truly seared steak. This is the recommended doneness to taste the natural flavor of the meat. It’s usually how meat connoisseurs and chefs like to eat it.
- Internal Temperature: 130-135℉
- Grill Time: ~3.5 minutes per side
- Center Color: Pink with thin brown stripes on top and bottom.
- Center Temperature: Room Temperature
MEDIUM – Most everyone is happy with this doneness, it’s not bloody or as dry as the Sahara desert.
- Internal Temperature: 135-145℉
- Grill Time: ~4.5 minutes per side
- Center Color: Some pink
- Center Temperature: Lukewarm
WELL – It’s definitely cooked, still showcases the flavor of the meat.
- Internal Temperature: 145-155℉
- Grill Time: ~5.5 minutes per side
- Center Color: Sliver of light pink
- Center Temperature: Warm
WELL DONE – It’s browned and cooked throughout.
- Internal Temperature: 155-165℉
- Grill Time: ~6.5 minutes per side
- Center Color: Mostly brown
- Center Temperature: Warm throughout
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! – This is the hockey puck of steaks - Go ahead and eat a salad if you hate steak this much.
- Internal Temperature: 165+℉
- Grill Time: ~8-10 minutes per side
- Center Color: Brown throughout
- Center Temperature: Hot off the grill
THE PERFECT STEAK – Always purchase high quality meat. The quality determines the texture, tenderness, and how flavorful the steak will taste.
- The thicker the steak, the easier it is too cook and the better it will taste.
- Stop by your local butcher shop and ask for exactly what you want, i.e. a 2” thick cut steak. Most grocery stores stock steak that is ½” to 1” thick, thin steak cooks faster and has less flavor.
- Pre-heat your grill and make sure the temperature is set to it's highest temperature (400-500℉). Grilling steak can be a quick and easy process. Also, thick cut steak has more forgiveness with cook time and tenderness.
Try each of these steak cooking times at home and taste the rainbow of steak flavor to see what you’re favorite doneness is. Enjoy!