Check the quality of the pellets.
- Ideally, check the pellets at the end of the auger
- Pellets should have a nice sheen to them and have a nice "snap" to them when breaking.
- If the pellets crumble or do not have a nice sheen, try a fresh bag of pellets.
Listen for the fan.
- You should be able to hear it and feel some airflow when you have your hand in the firepot.
- If the fan is completely dead remove the controller and swap the orange and purple wires. If the fan still doesn't work, the fan will need to be replaced. If the fan starts to work but the hotrod is dead, The controller will need to be replaced.
Check that pellets are being fed to the Firepot
Check that auger motor and auger are connected and operating properly
- Remove grill grate, drip pan, and heat baffle
- Plug the grill in, turn it on, and set to SMOKE
- Look in firepot and verify that the auger is turning.
- If the auger is turning, go to ""Is the hotrod heating up?""
- If the auger is not turning, go to the next step
- While grill is still on look underneath the hopper and verify if the small fan attached to the auger motor shaft is turning
- If the auger motor fan is NOT turning, check the Auger Jam article
- If the auger motor fan IS rotating, check to see if the shear pin or QR pin is connecting the auger motor output shaft and auger. If this is missing, contact CS.
Is the Hot Rod heating up?
Turn the grill on and set to SMOKE. WITHOUT TOUCHING the Hot Rod hold your hand over the firepot, is it heating up? If not, please remove the controller from the grill and follow these steps in this order
- Disconnect the fiberglass wrapped wire's Molex connector from the purple and white Molex connector
- Reconnect the fiberglass wrapped wire's Molex connector with the purple and white Molex connector
- Turn the grill on and let it run for 5 min to check if it is now working (pellets in firepot should start to smoke). If not proceed to the next step
- Following the Hotrod's high heat fabric wire disconnect its Molex connector and disconnect the ORANGE wire's Molex connector
- Reconnect the wires by using the other component's Molex connector (see diagram)
- Plug in the grill and turn it on and allow 3 minutes for the Hotrod to heat up
- If the Induction Fan turns on the controller is fine, and the Hotrod is bad
- If the Hotrod turns on (3+ minutes) and the induction fan does not the controller is bad, and the components are fine
- If neither component is turning on the controller and the Hotrod need to be replaced
- Reconnect the correct wires back and contact Customer Service