The fire is likely not reaching the proper temperature, and the pellets are just cindering. If this is the case, check the following:
- Pellet quality is the most culprit of thick smoke. If they are holding moisture they will not burn as hot.
- Pellets may be compromised if they are light in color, dull, dusty, break easily, or if the bag the pellets came in has a lot of sawdust.
- Even if you believe your pellets are ok, try a fresh batch just to be sure. Sometimes, pellets can take on moisture without us noticing.
- Ensure the induction fan is working properly.
- You should be able to feel the air blowing into the firepot. Be sure not to touch the hotrod while testing this.
- The fan should not make any loud noises, such as scraping or squealing. If it is, please contact Customer Service.