We’re here to school you on beef cuts and how to cook steak like the pros. The days of burnt shoe leather are OVER. We’ve created a guide, a beef bible of sorts, to help you achieve steak perfection every time and select the best steak. We’ll teach you all you need to know about the anatomy of different cuts from skirt steak, flank steak, ribeye, porterhouse, to filet mignon and a good ole’ hanger steak in one snapshot. Keep this grilling guide close, it’s about to change how you do beef.
Steak perfection 101: One of the best ways to cook a perfect steak is using a reverse sear technique. Reverse searing allows you to achieve a beautiful sear on the outside of the steak while maintaining medium rare perfection on the inside. There is no better technique. The reverse sear allows you to have complete control over the doneness of your meat while not compensating on those beautiful marks.
How to reverse sear:
1. Smoke your cut of choice at 225 degrees F for about 45 mins to 1 hour, or until it’s almost at your desired doneness.
2. Remove steak from the grill and increase the temperature to High.
3. It’s crucial you don’t open the lid until that baby hits searing temperature.
4. Throw that beef on the scorchin’ grill grates for about 1 minute on each side and enjoy the best damn steak of your life.
It’s THAT simple.
Cooking on High Heat:
1. Set grill temperature to High heat.
2. Flip steak once in the middle to achieve grill marks.
3. Place the meat until you’ve hit desire temperate.
Med. Rare: 130-135°F
Med. Well: 145-155°F
Well Done: 155°F-up
You can now consider yourself a steak pro. Knowing your cut and mastering the cook are the two keys to making perfect steak every time. Print this guide out, frame it on your wall, and share it with a neighbor. Use this, and you’ll be able to grill with the best of them.
See our best steak recipes below: