SMOKED RIB EYES WITH BOURBON-FLAVORED BUTTER
For good reason, rib eyes are the favorite steaks of many a discriminating meat eater. An hour’s smoke followed by a quick sear and a luscious pat of bourbon-flavored butter take these to a whole new level.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives or green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rib eye steaks, each at least 1-inch thick
- Traeger Prime Rib Rub, or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, garlic, bourbon, chives, parsley, and salt and pepper and stir with a wooden spoon. (The flavored butter can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until serving time.) When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Generously season the steaks with the Traeger Prime Rib Rub. Arrange the steaks directly on the grill grate and smoke for 1 hour. Momentarily remove the steaks to a platter and set the temperature of your Traeger to 450 degrees F (High). Return the steaks to the grill grate and grill, turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until done to your liking (135 degrees F for medium-rare). Transfer the steaks to a platter and immediately top each with a pat of the bourbon-flavored butter. Let the meat rest for 3 minutes before serving.