- 24 littleneck clams
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter cut into chunks
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- A teaspoon or two of Pernod (anise-flavored liqueur: optional)
- 1 lemon cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
Scrub the clams under cold running water, discarding any that don’t close or that have broken shells.
Put the butter, garlic, parsley, Pernod, if using, and the juice from 2 lemon wedges in a heat-proof pan or casserole large enough to hold the clams and place it on the grill.
Arrange the clams directly on the grill grate and grill for 5 to 8 minutes, or until they open. Discard any that fail to open. With tongs, carefully transfer the opened clams to the pan with the butter, trying not to spill any of the clam juices enroute. Tip the clams and the butter into a shallow serving dish and serve with the remaining lemon wedges.