- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted, divided use
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Zest from 1/2 small orange
- Juice from 1/2 small orange
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or tarragon
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds large dry-packed scallops
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Put a cooling rack or wire grid on a rimmed baking sheet.
Wash the scallops under cold running water and thoroughly pat dry on paper towels. Remove any translucent tags of muscle tissue you find on the sides of the scallops. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and arrange them on the rack on the baking sheet.
Start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes).
Put the baking sheet with the scallops on the grill grate and smoke for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet with the scallops from the grill and set aside. In the meantime, increase the temperature of the Traeger to 400 degrees F. Preheat for 15 minutes.
Return the baking sheet with the scallops to the grill grate and roast the scallops until just opaque and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. The time will depend on how thick the scallops are. Do not overcook.
In the meantime, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, orange zest, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes. Keep warm.
Serve the scallops hot with the warm citrus-butter sauce.