Homemade Onion Dip
This is a wonderful recipe to make when you have something else on the grill—preferably something that requires a temperature of 225 to 300 degrees F such as a brisket or pork loin. Because the key to making great caramelized onions is cooking them low and slow; it brings out their sweetness. For variations, we suggest adding cooked diced bacon to the dip, or substituting beer for the beef bouillon. Greek yogurt also stands in well for the sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, preferably Lawry’s, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup beef bouillon, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, for serving
- Crudités and sturdy potato chips, for serving
When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature in the range of to 225 to 300 degrees F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Put the butter and vegetable oil in a disposable foil pan and place it on the grill grate for a few minutes. When the butter is melted, stir in the onions, sugar, garlic salt, pepper, and thyme.
Combine the beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, and bourbon, if using, in a glass measuring cup and pour half over the onions. Return the pan to the grill grate and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the temperature of your Traeger. Add the remainder of the bouillon mixture if the onions seem a bit dry. Let the onions cool completely.
In the meantime, combine the sour cream and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the cooled onions and chives, if using. Taste, adding more garlic salt or pepper as desired. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and chill until serving time. Serve with crudités and potato chips.